Saturday, December 06, 2008

Post-traumatic stress disorder

assalamualaikum

in the name of Allah the Most Gracious the Most Merciful

I saw heaps of happy faces when I checked my facebook today. Those faces come mostly from Australia, where many medical students graduated from medical school today. Farah Latif and Affida graduated from Monash, Shawn and friends graduated from Melbourne and few more names that I can't recall here.

Good news is also spreading all over Auckland where almost 100% of my 4th year juniors have passed their exams! God knows how happy they are now, and I know how it feels like. I've been there before.

Many from my seniors say that medical school is nothing. "Hell" will start when you start work. Perhaps they are right, but I do not give a damn about that. It's an achievement, and they have been there before. What the juniors need are guidance from the seniors, and those sayings I'm afraid is of very little benefit.

To those who are staying overseas, I wish you good luck and all the best. Let's face it, it's both money and work load that put these people off Malaysia. For me, Malaysia is my one and only place. It has very little to do with patriotism, as you can be as patriotic as I am even if you are in Zambia. If possible, do return to Malaysia one day, as Malaysia needs you more than UK and Australasia do.

I am now enjoying my life day by day in Malaysia. Everything is smooth and fine here. It's not as hot as I expected, which is a good news of course. However, it is marred by the tragedy in Bukit Antarabangsa. My thought is with you. I hope many of you there are safe and sound.

Still, I can't take my mind off Auckland. It is super duper odd, because academically, everyday was not a holiday there. I worked my socks off, it was difficult but was a worthy journey in the end. Auckland has taught me many things, and these things you definitely can't buy with Mastercard. Adios..

I will leave with one of the possibly the greatest national anthems, together with its worldwidely known the HAKA. All Blacks' win over England before I left gave the perfect end of a beautiful life in NZ.



Anthem lyrics

Haka lyrics

Ringa pakia
Uma tiraha
Turi whatia
Hope whai ake
Waewae takahia kia kino

Ka Mate! Ka Mate!
Ka Ora! Ka Ora!
Tenei te ta ngata puhuru huru
Nana nei i tiki mai

Whakawhiti te ra
A upane ka upane!
A upane kaupane whiti te ra!
Hi!!

Translation...
It is death! It is death!
It is life! It is life!
This is the hairy person
Who caused the sun to shine
Keep abreast! Keep abreast
The rank! Hold fast!
Into the sun that shines!


I was speechless when I saw the Haka by the All Blacks right if front of my eyes in 2006. It was very moving.

I can now be contacted at 013-2248515. Please include your name when you text/sms me.

till next time,
assalamualaikum

No comments: